You likely picture a young teenager with a toothy metallic smile when you think of braces. While it is true that a large portion of orthodontic patients are pre-teen or teen-age, it doesn’t mean that you aren’t a candidate for orthodontic treatment if you aren’t in that age group. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists estimates that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21 years.
While there are a few exceptions, you’re never too old to receive orthodontic treatment. In fact, we have patients in their 50s, 60s and beyond. If your gums and teeth are healthy and in good shape, moving your teeth and jaw into alignment is always possible. Treatments may take a little longer with adults with braces, but the finished product will still leave you smiling. Don’t be deterred if you have an oral health concern or two, like gum disease or tooth decay, as we can coordinate with your dentist or any specialists.
Selecting the Sachdev Advantage
The first thing we like to remind our patients at Sachdev Family Orthodontic is that there is always time to invest in yourself. Moreover, orthodontia has advanced considerably, especially in the past 20 years, so you are not limited to traditional metal braces. While metal braces are now much smaller and more subtle than their earlier counterparts you likely remember from teenagehood, there are a number of inconspicuous options, including ceramic braces and clear aligners like Invisalign®, which are just as effective.
Sachdev Family Orthodontics is a locally owned, independent practice. Led by board-certified orthodontist Dr. Ameeta Sachdev, we deliver genuinely personalized treatment and an outstanding patient experience at a fair price. Whether you visit us for braces, clear aligners or a phase 1 appliance, you’ll see the same orthodontist from start to finish, and we’ll be here for you whenever you need us (seriously, text us 24/7 with emergencies!)
Our goal is to give you the confidence to smile without holding back, which will help you tap into your fullest potential, personally and professionally. Not to mention, with our refreshing, kindness-first approach and family-centered atmosphere, you’ll have a good time getting there.
Time for a Change? Explore the Range of Reasons Why People Get Braces
Am I too old for braces? This a question you’ve likely asked yourself, but as we’ve said before, the short answer is no. While the reason you’re considering receiving orthodontic treatment is that you are interested in giving yourself the gift of a sparkling smile you always deserved, there are many reasons patients consider investing in orthodontic treatment, including:
- A bad bite: more than the fact that an overbite or underbite is considered less aesthetically pleasing, it can also cause jaw pain and headaches.
- Bad breath: crooked teeth can cause bad breath, tooth decay and even gum disease. Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to clean and less prone to decay.
- Missing teeth: and/or adjacent teeth leaning into the space
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment: for whatever reason, sometimes the orthodontic treatment you received as a youth still needs to be completed. Perhaps you didn’t wear your retainers; consequently, teeth can shift back to their original position.
- Other signs that you’d likely benefit from braces include: your teeth are visibly crooked, difficulty flossing and brushing, finding yourself frequently biting your tongue or cheek, your teeth that don’t align properly when your mouth is at rest, speech difficulties, jaw pain or clicking when you chew or first wake up, mouth breathing which can lead to damage to the enamel of your teeth, difficulty chewing food or complete inability to chew certain foods, and missing or extra teeth.
If you’re considering braces as an adult, you’ve come to the right place. We understand that our adult patients may have different needs. That’s why we give our adult patients the option to be treated in a private treatment room. Our dedicated team will work with you to ensure a positive orthodontic experience.
Considering Comfort in the Diagnostic Process: Meet Itero and Medit scanner
One of the biggest complaints that patients have is the way in which orthodontists traditionally take impressions of their teeth and jaw in preparation for the beginning of their orthodontic treatment plan. Our commitment to using cutting-edge technology means no more goop, gagging, or discomfort. Instead of yesteryear’s terribly awkward and unpleasant molds, we use a intra-oral scanners called the Medit scanner. With it, the SFO team can take a highly accurate digital impression of your teeth and jaw. Thanks to this new technology, tray and putty impressions are a thing of the past.
How the Medit scanners work: Our team scans your mouth with a radiation-free laser, and in as little as 5 minutes, the laser renders a digitally perfect, 3D impression of your teeth and soft tissues. The iTero™ results in improved treatment and a more comfortable patient experience overall. At SFO, we’re all about systematically improving treatment so that your patient experience is positive, not anxiety-inducing.
Choose Your Choice: Treatment Options for Adult Orthodontics
Above everything, at SFO, we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to caring for our patients. We use state-of-the-art equipment and technology, keep up-to-date with research and the latest scientific advancements, and follow evidence-based orthodontics to give you the best results. All of these measures we take mean when it comes to orthodontic options for adults, you can choose between various comfortable and esthetic treatment options that suit your lifestyle.
Metal Braces: made of high-grade stainless steel, they’re smaller and offer more comfortable today than ever before. The ability to change colors at each appointment can also be a fun bonus of treatment. No matter your age, having a colorful smile while you go through your orthodontic treatment is a playful way to show your personality. That being said, if you’re keen to keep things a bit more subtle, we offer clear bands too.
Ceramic Braces: made of transparent materials, ceramic braces are considerably less visible on your teeth and are an excellent option for adult braces. They are an ideal aesthetic alternative to metal braces and are just as effective. Though it’s essential to remember that they are visually less prominent, they require more attention to oral hygiene as ceramic braces are larger and more brittle than metal ones. For these reasons, clear braces in Rockland County tend to be used more on upper front teeth than lower ones.
Clear aligners like Invisalign®: A very popular option for teens and adults alike, and especially ideal for patients needing braces over 40. We realize that getting braces can be intimidating, and if you’re worried about feeling self-conscious, they’re a great alternative. Invisalign helps you perfect your smile without having to change your lifestyle.
- With clear aligners for adults, you can eat all foods without the annoying diet restrictions; popcorn, apples, ribs? Bon appetit!
- Keeping your teeth and gums healthy is made simple because Invisalign is easily removable. You won’t have to worry about struggling to floss and brush metal brackets and wires. Your bedtime routine can continue with a bit of added diligence and the simple addition of cleaning your aligners.
- Expect fewer visits to our office: with up to 50% faster treatment times, your life can continue to move at the pace it always has, and you can enjoy fewer interruptions in your schedule.
- Getting an inside look at your treatment: Invisalign treatment also allows you to view your virtual treatment plan when you start so you can see how your straight teeth will look when your treatment is complete.
They’re easy: you must wear adult Invisalign® for about 1-2 weeks. Remove them when you’re eating, drinking, brushing or flossing. Your teeth will be slowly and systematically shifted until they have straightened to their final positions. Appointments to see us occur about every 6-12 weeks to ensure your treatment progress. Though, total treatment time varies per patient.
Retain Your Results
There’s little value in straightening your teeth and obtaining your dream smile if you don’t continue after your orthodontic treatment with retainers. Your teeth have a good memory and can shift back into their old positions without the use of retainers. We offer myriad options to retain your dream smile, though make sure you clean retainers regularly and keep them away from pets!
Brace Yourself For a Beautiful Smile, No Matter Your Age
We’ve established that age is but a number when it comes to adult orthodontics, and the options are endless when it comes to a treatment plan to suit you and your lifestyle. For more information about our orthodontics for adults, click here to schedule a consultation with our Rockland County orthodontist.